Easy Formula for Grant Applications
Get to know the different kinds of grants
- Government grants intend to give funds to some specific purposes. You can call a grant as a monetary aid to the beneficiaries sanctioned after they meet a specific set of eligibility criteria. The beneficiaries need not have to repay the aids received.
- A federal grant is the aid given by a government agency to achieve a public purpose of supporting the causes authorized by the laws of the United States. Know that grants are neither federal assistance nor loans. You will never find a government grant to acquire a property or buy groceries.
- Private grants are given away by foundations, non-governmental agencies or corporations. These grants are much easier to get than the federal grants. This is because the private institutions are not under the veil of the bureaucracy that is very tough to crack.
- Those public charities having 501(c)3 status with the IRS give grants to charitable organizations. There are also some non-profit grants assistance provided to 501(c)3 organizations governed by some specific missions.
- Individual grants are meant for persons who satisfy the specific criteria. Institutions and businesses cannot qualify for such grants.
- Sponsorship grants are meant for non-profit organizations. They are only given to persons who have a sponsor. To qualify for such assistance, you must ensure you have a sponsor with 501(c)3 status.
Explore the galaxy of grants
The right way to find what grants are available for you along with the information on how to apply for these grants, you can explore online. Some of the popular search phrases people use for searching for grants assistance include ‘public charities’ and ‘private foundations’. Alternatively, when you wish to know about the local grants, you can also contact your State Arts Commissioner. Visit a public library to go through the books on foundations and agencies that offer grant money in the field appropriate to you.
Match your goals with those of the grantwriter
The principal role of the grantwriters is to bequeath money on the basis of what matters to them the most. They are not there to consider what matters to you. Also, never expect sympathy or pity to rule over the grantwriting or grant application process. If the grantwriter concludes that you are not going to use the grant money for the intended purpose, then you are only wasting both of your time and the grant applications is never going to get approved.
Hence before applying for a given grant, it is necessary that you make a thorough research of the details of the grant application and the organization that is sponsoring it. Know that the grantwriters are not going to be impressed by those candidates who are ignorant of the grant, grant applications, or its process.
Prepare a detailed grant application. Make it thorough in every regard and submit it within the stipulated time. It is necessary that you follow up with the application.
Grantwriters are known to recognize the intent behind the proposals that are pooled up in front of them. They will not be misguided by those that aim at just getting some money out of them. Hence there is no point in expecting something for nothing. The grants proposal you submit must prove that you have solid plans for making use of the money you will receive as grants. Ensure the grants application is free of any errors and mistakes. Submitting the application in time is very crucial for eligibility.
Never give an indication that you are offended when the grantwriters pile up questions in front of you challenging your purpose and the application. This is naturally expected of them.
Be ready for the report that follows a grant
Once you have got a grant, a report will certainly follow. Do not expect the agency to give you the grant and then just walk away. Getting grants assistance is not like winning a game show. It is highly expected that you spend the money for the intended purpose. The grantwriters will expect you to submit quarterly reports on how you are using the grant money.